You are here
Moon California Camping: The Complete Guide to More Than 1,400 Tent and RV Campgrounds (Moon Outdoors) (Paperback)
On Our Shelves Now
Moon Travel Guides: Your Adventure Starts Here
California has 20 million acres of forest, 1,200 miles of coast, and countless wilderness areas, but with Moon California Camping, you'll always find your perfect campsite.
What's inside the 20th edition of Moon California Camping:
- A Campsite for Everyone: A variety of campgrounds, from secluded Sierra hike-ins to convenient roadside stopovers, including dog-friendly, family-friendly, and wheelchair accessible options
- Ratings and Essentials: All campsites are rated by scenery and marked with amenities like restrooms, trailhead access, picnic areas, laundry, piped water, showers, and playgrounds
- Recreation Highlights: Discover nearby hiking, swimming, fishing, water-skiing, white water rafting, hot springs, and options for winter sports
- Maps and Directions: Easy-to-use maps and detailed driving directions for each campground
- Skip the Crowds: Moon California Camping contains many secluded spots and campgrounds not in the online reservation system
- Curated Lists of Top RV and Tent Sites: Pick the right campsite for your travel style with lists like "Best for Families," "Scenic Campgrounds," and "Best Island Retreats"
- Trusted Advice: Expert outdoorsman Tom Stienstra knows his stuff; he's hiked 25,000 miles in and around these campgrounds for over 30 years
- Essential Information on Hiking the John Muir Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail: includes campgrounds that offer trailhead access
- Tips and Tools: Information on equipment, food and cooking, first aid, and insect protection, plus background on the climate, landscape, and history of the campsites
Narrowing your search? Try Moon Northern California Camping. Looking for some focused advice on outdoor recreation? Check out Moon California Hiking or Moon California Fishing.
Full coverage of: Redwood Empire, Shasta and Trinity, Lassen and Modoc, Mendocino and Wine Country, Sacramento and Gold Country, Tahoe and the Northern Sierra, the San Francisco Bay Area, Monterey and Big Sur, the San Joaquin Valley, Yosemite and Mammoth Lakes, Sequoia and Kings Canyon, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and San Diego (and their surrounding areas), and the California deserts, including Death Valley and Palm Desert
About the Author
For over 30 years, Tom Stienstra's full-time job has been to capture and communicate the outdoor experience. This has led him across California - fishing, hiking, camping, boating, biking, and flying - searching for the best of the outdoors and then writing about it.
Tom is the nation's top-selling author of outdoors guidebooks. His documentary on the Tuolumne River received an Emmy in 2017. He has been inducted into the California Outdoor Hall of Fame and has twice been awarded National Outdoor Writer of the Year, newspaper division, by the Outdoor Writers Association of America. He has also been named California Outdoor Writer of the Year five times, most recently in 2007. Tom is the outdoors columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle; his articles appear on sfgate.com and in newspapers around the country. He also broadcasts a weekly radio show on KCBS-San Francisco.
Tom lives in Northern California. You can contact him directly via the website tomstienstra.com. His guidebooks include:
Moon California Hiking (with Ann Marie Brown)
Moon California Fishing
Moon California Recreational Lakes & Rivers
Moon Northern California Cabins & Cottages
Moon Northern California Camping
Moon Northern California Hiking (with Ann Marie Brown)
Moon Oregon Camping
Moon Pacific Northwest Camping
Moon Washington Camping
Moon West Coast RV Camping
Tom Stienstra's Bay Area Recreation